Wanaka Hospice Shop Expands and Welcomes New Manager

Posted Wednesday February 21, 2024
Home About Us News Wanaka Hospice Shop Expands and Welcomes New Manager
Today the Wanaka Hospice Shop opens its super-sized space at the extended Brownston St premises under the watchful eye of new shop manager Jo Baynes.

Hospice CEO Ginny Green described the space as a super store for Wanaka featuring high turnover second hand goods from clothes to knick-knacks, books and homewares.

“Late last year we closed our warehouse operation, in order to simplify our second hand shop operation and to bring our volunteers and staff together in one space. We were extremely fortunate with the Messenger’s premises coming available in January, so it has been all hands to the pump to empty out the warehouse, prepare the new space and then set up all the stock.

“Our new shop manager Jo Baynes hit the ground running on January 22nd and today we opened the expanded store,” says Ms Green.

“Jo comes with various retail experience, as well as having been a volunteer coordinator of Kidz Kartz Southland, so she was well prepped to step into this role. With over 40 volunteers, and thousands of items moving through the store every week, there will be plenty to keep Jo busy.”

The incredibly vibrant central location and the new space has enabled the Hospice shop to improve its stock processing, which makes life easier for volunteers and staff. It also means Wanaka locals have a one-stop-shop with easy drop-off for donations.

“With great parking and easy walking distance from the town center, we are looking forward to the Wanaka Hospice shop continuing to delight locals and travellers alike, and at the same time supporting the Otago Community Hospice specialist palliative care service in the Upper Clutha,” says Ms Green.


For more information call:

Contact Shop Manager Jo Baynes or Retail Development Manager Cat Callanan on 03 473 6005

About Otago Community Hospice www.otagohospice.co.nzOtago Community Hospice supports people with terminal illness to live and die well. Our multidisciplinary team includes community care coordinators, palliative specialist doctors, counsellors, social workers, and a residential care support team, who all work closely with GPs, hospitals and district nurses. Our service is free and supports more than 800 patients, and their whānau, each year. The Hospice receives around 56% of its funding from the Government and the remaining 44% is raised in the community. Our fundraising target for the current financial year is $3.2 million, which equates to $9000 every day.


Related Articles

Hospice Grappling with Rise in Demand

Tuesday May 14, 2024

Otago Community Hospice staff (from left) nurse practitioner Sally Fleming, clinical nurse specialist Elaine Horn, chief...

Hospice Awareness Week - Celebrating Community Service

Thursday May 9, 2024

Otago Community Hospice is celebrating Hospice Awareness Week - which runs from May 13th to 19th - with a celebration of...

February Newsletter 2024

Sunday February 11, 2024

As we welcome in 2024 I wanted to give you a rundown on what the year ahead holds for us.