In a given year, more than 400 people volunteer at the Otago Community Hospice. They play a crucial role and add great value to the hospice experience. Our volunteer workforce contributes to the bottom line by ensuring we keep staff costs to a minimum.
Valuing our volunteers is important
- A volunteer newsletter is posted out four times a year
- Cards are sent at appropriate occasions
- A mid-year dinner is partially funded by hospice
- Christmas functions are held annually
- Education sessions are held throughout the year
- Badges and certificates are presented to acknowledge 5, 10, 15 and 20 years of service
We have paid dedicated staff to promote, evaluate and provide ongoing support, training and education for the volunteers. Our volunteers assist in many areas, such as:
- Retail Shop
We try to ensure that our volunteers find their experiences with us as valuable and rewarding as possible. We work with our volunteers to understand what they would like to get out of working at the Hospice and we try our best to accommodate these requests.
For more information on volunteering with us, please contact our House Coordinator. You may also like to view our Volunteering brochure, here: